How to choose the right life jackets for your boat kids by age and weight
Water safety should be every parent’s primary concern around the water or on a boat. Balancing your kid’s desire for fun with your need for safety can be a tricky yet essential goal to achieve.
The start of each new boating season is the best time to assess whether you have the right life jacket gear for kids. Before boating season is underway – before your kids even step foot on the dock – a review of properly fitting life jackets and potential upgrade of gear is in order.
When it comes to life jackets, size matters. You need to be sure you are choosing the right life jacket for the current weight of children on board your boat.
Life Jackets by Size & Weight
On BoaterKids.com, we try to highlight some of the best life jacket options for kids by age.
Baby and Infants - life jacket should be labeled "under 30" lbs and have heads-up feature.
Toddlers - jackets include heads up and crotch strap and are using 30-50 lbs.
Youth - weight is the primary factor and most youth jackets will be 50-90 lbs.
Older Kids - most older kids are over 90 lbs or even small adult sizes.
In my recent article in Lakeland Boating magazine entitled “Gear up for Safety: Choosing the Right Life Jackets for your Kids” I shared tips on how to select the proper life jacket for your kids, reviewing the size and style requirements by age.
READ FULL ARTICLE
You can read more about choosing the right life jacket for your boat kids in the full original article (opens PDF) from Lakeland Boating Magazine.
Cruising with Kids Column in Lakeland Boating Magazine
As a boater with two boat kids I am thrilled to share my experiences in a summer Boating Kids column for the regional boating lifestyle magazine Lakeland Boating.
More Boating Kids Columns
- Encouraging kids to step up to more responsibility while boating – and developing a deeper appreciation for the boat life When our kids were younger their main “job” on-board the …Read More »
- Family-friendly boat features to look for when choosing the right boat size & style for a family with kids (as seen in Lakeland Boating) Purchasing a boat is certainly a …Read More »
- In a world of uncertainty, kids are yearning for the calming effect of boating All our lives took a detour from normalcy this year as a result of the 2020 …Read More »
- Are you prepared to invite your kids' friends to the boat? Tips for a safe and fun boat play date for kids. [As seen in Lakeland Boating] Our boat time …Read More »
- Spending a fun day anchored out in your favorite spot is sometimes all kids need for some family boat day fun [as seen in Lakeland Boating with VIDEO] While boats …Read More »
- Is it time to give your kids more duties on the boat? Here are some age appropriate jobs for your kids to help out on the boat (as seen in …Read More »
- Is it safe to take a baby on a boat?...What type of baby boat gear do I need?... and other questions about bringing a baby on board your boat As …Read More »
- Follow these important sun safety tips to protect your kids from the harmful rays of summer while boating or on the water (as seen in Lakeland Boating) Soaking in the …Read More »
- Creating Memories that Develop a Lifelong Love of Boating for Your Kids Many people in the boating industry like to say “Start them young!” because they know that the best …Read More »
- 10 Must-Do Activities for Your Boat-Loving Kids this Summer The spring prep is over, your boat is in the water, the school year ends and summer is now in full …Read More »
You may also like:
Latest posts by Diane Seltzer (see all)
- Family Friendly Cruising Destinations and Boat Trips - April 6, 2021
- First Mate in Training - December 27, 2020
- How to Choose the Best Family Boat - August 8, 2020