Is it safe to take a baby on a boat?...What type of baby boat gear do I need?... and other questions about bringing a baby on board your boat
As a new parent (or even new grandparent), it’s only natural to be nervous about taking your new baby on a boat. That anxiety is probably even greater if you are a new parent that is also new to boating. But, with the right precautions and some common sense, introducing a child to the life of boating at the beginning of their life isn't that hard.
Boating became a big part of our life well before kids. It was a carefree lifestyle of cruising to waterfront destinations, leisurely anchoring out and partaking in quite a few happy hours on the dock.
When starting a family was the next step for my husband and I in life, we heard a lot of comments like “you’ll probably sell the boat when you have kids” and “get ready, things are going to be different”.
Well, they were right about one thing - things were different. But we definitely did not sell the boat.
Having a little bundle of joy may have changed the way we boat a bit, but it didn’t change the fact that we are boaters. A baby on board our boat brought new experiences and new adventures.
Despite our somewhat feeble attempts to plan around boating season, both of our kids were born in the middle of summer. We had to take a break from boating a few weeks before and a few weeks after, but both were on our boat at 2 weeks old.
Although there may not be an official course for “how to boat with a baby”, my experience having two summer boat babies made me a bit of a resident expert.
With a focus on boat safety and special accommodations for cruising with kids, you can make boating as a family both enjoyable and safe – creating memories that will last a lifetime.
Boating with Baby Best Practices
My articles on this site about boating with a baby are some of my most popular. With two boat babies under my belt, I am happy to share my best practices for things like:
- Baby boat gear - top 10 must-have products
- Baby life jackets - a round-up of good infant life jacket options
- Baby boat beds - compact bed options for a baby sleeping on a boat
- Baby proofing your boat - safety precautions to baby or child proof a boat
In my recent article in Lakeland Boating magazine entitled “Baby on Board: Boating with the newest addition to your crew” I also shared more tips on my personal experiences and how to prepare to boat with a newborn baby.
READ FULL ARTICLE
You can read more about boating with baby in the full original article (opens PDF) from Lakeland Boating Magazine.
Cruising with Kids Column in Lakeland Boating Magazine
As a boater with two boat kids I am thrilled to share my experiences in a summer Boating Kids column for the regional boating lifestyle magazine Lakeland Boating.
More Boating Kids Columns
- A new puppy brings new responsibilities and adventures for boat kids – how we juggle boating with kids and a dog! After years of constant begging from our kids, we …Read More »
- Encouraging kids to step up to more responsibility while boating – and developing a deeper appreciation for the boat life When our kids were younger their main “job” on-board the …Read More »
- Family-friendly boat features to look for when choosing the right boat size & style for a family with kids (as seen in Lakeland Boating) Purchasing a boat is certainly a …Read More »
- In a world of uncertainty, kids are yearning for the calming effect of boating All our lives took a detour from normalcy this year as a result of the 2020 …Read More »
- Are you prepared to invite your kids' friends to the boat? Tips for a safe and fun boat play date for kids. [As seen in Lakeland Boating] Our boat time …Read More »
- Spending a fun day anchored out in your favorite spot is sometimes all kids need for some family boat day fun [as seen in Lakeland Boating with VIDEO] While boats …Read More »
- Is it time to give your kids more duties on the boat? Here are some age appropriate jobs for your kids to help out on the boat (as seen in …Read More »
- Follow these important sun safety tips to protect your kids from the harmful rays of summer while boating or on the water (as seen in Lakeland Boating) Soaking in the …Read More »
- How to choose the right life jackets for your boat kids by age and weight Water safety should be every parent’s primary concern around the water or on a boat. Balancing …Read More »
- Creating Memories that Develop a Lifelong Love of Boating for Your Kids Many people in the boating industry like to say “Start them young!” because they know that the best …Read More »