Creating Memories that Develop a Lifelong Love of Boating for Your Kids
Many people in the boating industry like to say "Start them young!" because they know that the best way to develop lifelong boaters is to get them hooked on the boating lifestyle as a kid.
Those moments that your kids will remember for a lifetime are most likely happening on your boat. Going for a cruise, casting a line, relaxing at the lake… these are the moments that your kids will treasure as lifelong memories with their family. These are the moments that contribute to a lifelong love of boating.
Our kids were summer babies and each had the opportunity to start boating at only a few weeks old... so I can honestly say that we started them young and that they were practically "Raised on the Water".
In my recent article in Lakeland Boating magazine entitled "Raised on the Water: Inspiring the Next Generation of Boaters" I shared more on why I feel the early years of boating are so important for our kids to develop a life-long love of boating.
Here are three essential ways you can inspire your kids to develop a love of boating:
Get Kids Hooked Young
Some people worry about having a baby on a boat. In reality, there is no reason why you can't bring your baby on board... and many reasons why you should!
The fresh air and peaceful sounds of nature had a calming effect on our kids as babies. In fact, our second daughter was such a colicky infant that when we escaped to the boat on the weekends the gentle rocking on the water soothed her discomfort like nothing else.
Getting them hooked on the lifestyle as a baby or young child will also ensure that they are raised to love and respect the water.
Grow their Love of Boating
Get your kids involved in every aspect of boating to continue to grow their love of the boating lifestyle. Teach them new skills, take them on new adventures and help them discover new ways to appreciate life on the water.
Create Family Memories
Boating with kids is all about creating a strong bond and memories together as a family. Busy families are always looking for ways to connect more… to unplug, slow things down and share those special moments together as a family. And that’s one of the reasons why our boat has become such an important part of our lives.
You can read more about each of these ways to inspire boat kids in the full original article (opens PDF) from Lakeland Boating Magazine.
Cruising with Kids Column in Lakeland Boating Magazine
As a boater with two boat kids I am thrilled to share my experiences in a summer Boating Kids column for the regional boating lifestyle magazine Lakeland Boating.
More Boating Kids Columns
- Encouraging kids to step up to more responsibility while boating – and developing a deeper appreciation for the boat life When our kids were younger their main “job” on-board the …Read More »
- Family-friendly boat features to look for when choosing the right boat size & style for a family with kids (as seen in Lakeland Boating) Purchasing a boat is certainly a …Read More »
- In a world of uncertainty, kids are yearning for the calming effect of boating All our lives took a detour from normalcy this year as a result of the 2020 …Read More »
- Are you prepared to invite your kids' friends to the boat? Tips for a safe and fun boat play date for kids. [As seen in Lakeland Boating] Our boat time …Read More »
- Spending a fun day anchored out in your favorite spot is sometimes all kids need for some family boat day fun [as seen in Lakeland Boating with VIDEO] While boats …Read More »
- Is it time to give your kids more duties on the boat? Here are some age appropriate jobs for your kids to help out on the boat (as seen in …Read More »
- Is it safe to take a baby on a boat?...What type of baby boat gear do I need?... and other questions about bringing a baby on board your boat As …Read More »
- Follow these important sun safety tips to protect your kids from the harmful rays of summer while boating or on the water (as seen in Lakeland Boating) Soaking in the …Read More »
- How to choose the right life jackets for your boat kids by age and weight Water safety should be every parent’s primary concern around the water or on a boat. Balancing …Read More »
- 10 Must-Do Activities for Your Boat-Loving Kids this Summer The spring prep is over, your boat is in the water, the school year ends and summer is now in full …Read More »