Get your kids ready for the Best Boating Season Ever!
Each new boating season brings the promise of something special. Good times ahead. Anticipation of familiar experiences. Memories in the making. Boating season is FINALLY here and your kids are probably just as excited as you are (if not more) to get back on the water.
For our kids the anticipation of the start of a new boating season begins well before spring. The countdown to the first day back on the boat begins as early as February... and the "when do we get back on the boat?!" questions don't stop until we are walking down the dock about to jump on board for the first time that season.
When it comes to spring prep, it's quite a chore for us adults - cleaning, waxing, charging batteries, stocking cabin provisions - the list goes on and on. But for kids, the prep is all about getting ready for the fun times in the season ahead.
Here's a recap of spring boat prep for kids from my recent "Cruising with Kids" column in Lakeland Boating Magazine entitled Spring Prep for Kids: Get your kids ready for the best boating season ever! (View full PDF of article)
Activity Planning with Kids
Now is the time to plan your summer trips and activities on the boat. What are the must-do boating trips of the summer? Who would you like to invite to the visit you at the boat? It is important to get your kids involved in the process so that they are invested in how you will spend your weekends on the boat.
For us, gearing up for boating season includes water safety (with swim lessons and life jackets) and sun safety (with new sun gear and supplies). We start in early spring with swim lessons so they are ready to go with fresh skills and water safety lessons as summer swimming gets underway at the boat. We also do a check of our life jacket supply. Do we have the right sizes as kids grow? Does a jacket need to be replaced due to wear and tear? Finally, we make sure that our sun gear is also ready to go with new sunwear and a generous supply of sunscreen.
Building Life Skills and Experiences
From developing an appreciation for the environment and outdoors to building practical skills, the life experiences you’ll create with your kids are priceless. Spring is a time to assess what new skills your child may be ready to take on at the boat to enhance their boating experience. The start of boating season is also a good time to reacquaint kids with boating basics like navigation and listening to the captain.
Your kids may not realize they are about to create life long memories with the family on the boat this summer… but they’ll surely thank you later.
Read the full original article from Lakeland Boating: Spring Prep for Kids - Get your kids ready for the best boating season ever
Cruising with Kids Column in Lakeland Boating Magazine
As a boater with two boat kids I am thrilled to share my experiences in a summer Boating Kids column for the regional boating lifestyle magazine Lakeland Boating.
More Boating Kids Columns
- Encouraging kids to step up to more responsibility while boating – and developing a deeper appreciation for the boat life When our kids were younger their main “job” on-board the …Read More »
- Family-friendly boat features to look for when choosing the right boat size & style for a family with kids (as seen in Lakeland Boating) Purchasing a boat is certainly a …Read More »
- In a world of uncertainty, kids are yearning for the calming effect of boating All our lives took a detour from normalcy this year as a result of the 2020 …Read More »
- Are you prepared to invite your kids' friends to the boat? Tips for a safe and fun boat play date for kids. [As seen in Lakeland Boating] Our boat time …Read More »
- Spending a fun day anchored out in your favorite spot is sometimes all kids need for some family boat day fun [as seen in Lakeland Boating with VIDEO] While boats …Read More »
- Is it time to give your kids more duties on the boat? Here are some age appropriate jobs for your kids to help out on the boat (as seen in …Read More »
- Is it safe to take a baby on a boat?...What type of baby boat gear do I need?... and other questions about bringing a baby on board your boat As …Read More »
- Follow these important sun safety tips to protect your kids from the harmful rays of summer while boating or on the water (as seen in Lakeland Boating) Soaking in the …Read More »
- How to choose the right life jackets for your boat kids by age and weight Water safety should be every parent’s primary concern around the water or on a boat. Balancing …Read More »
- Creating Memories that Develop a Lifelong Love of Boating for Your Kids Many people in the boating industry like to say "Start them young!" because they know that the best …Read More »